So I got invited to a great New Year’s Eve luau…we had roasted pig, mai-tais, grass skirts, corny beach signs…the whole gammit. When trying to prepare my friend Millie picked me up a rockin hot pink grass skirt and I sported it with some awesome pink capri sweat pants. :0) When thinking of food, I remembered an awesome Pampered Chef season’s best recipe that I’ve put my own flair to…and here it is!
Pina Colada Upside Down Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 fresh pineapple (pick a good pineapple by looking at the eyes and the leaves…the eyes should be the same size top to bottom, and the leaves should take a little tug — not a big tug — to come out)
- about 20 maraschino cherries – or since I’m cheap I used about 1/4 of an on-sale can of cherry pie filling and then made a small pie with the rest
- about 1/4 of a bag of coconut
- 3 eggs
- 1 can of cream of coconut (you buy that in the drink mix section)
- 2 shots of bacardi
- 1 stick of butter (REAL butter. DOn’t buy chemical substitutes)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
Preheat your oven to 350. In a big skillet (like the Pampered Chef executive family skillet), melt the stick of butter while the oven is heating up. (MAKE SURE your skillet is oven safe. Pampered Chef ones are…just sayin’. :0) Take out when your preheat timer dings and mix in the brown sugar and pat down to coat the bottom of the pan. Using a pineapple wedger, core and slice the pineapple. (If you don’t have a wedger, you should. Or…you can cut the top and bottom off the pineapple, stand it up, and cut the skin off. THEN cut it into big wedges around the core.) Wedge it into a bowl or onto a grooved cutting board so you can save the juice. Arrange slices into the bottom of the skillet into whatever pattern you like (you won’t need all the pineapple) and drop some of those cherries or the spoons of cherry pineapple in the bottom.
Blend up your dry cake mix with 3 eggs, the can of cream of coconut, all of the juice from the pineapple (pour it right off the board into your bowl) and the 2 shots of bacardi. Or more…whatever. You do not need the oil and water on the mix box. Blend well and pour on top of the pineapple and cherries.
Bake in your preheated oven for 30 minutes. When it’s done it will test clean with a knife or pick. Flip your cake out after a few minutes on your favorite cake server and then top with the coconut. If you wanna make it extra pretty you can toast your coconut in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes in your microcooker.
Recipe 1 – add your own twist and enjoy!